Friday, March 11, 2011

Just an Observation

Just some observations that I found funny, but everything in life seems to lead back to school, especially Navi.

In chumash the other day we were talking about the B'nai Yisrael and Mrs. Wittlin made a reference to how they "saw but didn't perceive, and heard but didn't understand."

Also, in one of the Chumash audio shiurs we have to listen to, it talked about Moshe Rabbeinu being accused of hubris. It also talked about how Yeshayahu was different from most Nevi'im because he volunteered to go to the Jews, whereas most of the Nevi'im, including Moshe Rabbeinu, were reluctant to go and didn't seem so happy about it.

At my house one night, Alex came over to study or something, and we just started talking and joking about some of the stuff we had learned in Navi a few days before like how the Jews were so far gone. I also was looking for an outlet to plug my computer charger into and there was one right in front of me but I didn't realize. We joked that I saw it, but didn't actually perceive that it was there. (I know that isn't the kind of thing Yeshayahu meant when he said that to the nation, but I thought it was sort of relevant.) It was actually really funny. I thought you would enjoy that Mrs. Perl, but I forgot to post it until now.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Looking back after posting that, that sounds really weird and makes no sense. It's true though, that Navi pops up everywhere. I was just giving a few examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that story shows how (no offense mns) our society has become..... i dont want to use the wrong words here, but so wrapped up in nonsense things i guess is what I am trying to say. During Yishayahu's time people were doing things as bad as idol worship, drinking too much, going against G-d, etc. What they were doing is clearly and plainly wrong. They didn't even realize what they were doing. As we said in class they saw but did not perceive and heard but did not listen. Today we do silly things like pay no attention to the things infront of us. If Yishayahu was here today to see the silly things we were doing he would laugh at us because of the level of silly-ness. I find it funny how now if someone is speaking loshon harah or being mean they get "corrected/yelled/frowned upon" by their peers, family, friends, and teachers, as opposed to back then people were running aroung doing crazy, harmful, against the rules things and they only had one person (Yishayahu) + Hashem, who were trying to stop them. I hope I am not offending anyone who does what MNS did because I too do it every single day. I also agree that Navi does pop-up everywhere and we should learn to be more careful with everything we do and slow down. I have fallen victim of rushing through things and then doing something wrong or in MNS's case rushing to look for something and not seeing the obvious-ness of it being right in front of my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would just like to comment on one of the points orly mentioned-"if someone is speaking loshon harah or being mean they get "corrected/yelled/frowned upon" by their peers, family, friends, and teachers, as opposed to back then people were running aroung doing crazy, harmful, against the rules things..." i dont think that nowadays people always get reprimanded if they do something wrong. instead, ithink that often other people go along with it or even add to it, or scold them jokingly. in most cases i dont see people seriously realizing that what they're doing is wrong. if Yishayahu were to come now, one of the things he would scold us for would probably be not taking anything seriously and living in the now, not really caring what the outcome of our actions will be later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma-
    When Orly said that people get yelled at/corrected/ frowned upon, (Orly correct me if I'm wrong) I think she meant that when some people are doing something wrong and one person tries to say that the action is wrong and should not be continued, the people doing the act would yell at them and call them named like goody two shoes and stuff like that. At least that's the idea I got from it. It's like (not that this would ever happen) if you and I were saying very chutzpadik things about one of the teachers and Alex came and tried to tell us we were being chutzpadik and we should either talk about something else or stop talking to begin with and we called her goody two shoes. That might not be such an extreme example, but that's what the idea of the sentence seemed like to me.

    ReplyDelete