Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recent Philosophical Conversations

(Please read the entire thing before commenting.)
So Zahava, (correct me if I'm wrong), you were wondering why do we have to be a chosen nation, and thinking that it is not fair to us to have to follow what our ancestors thousands of years ago decided. I was talking on the phone about school to Rabbi Shmidman in Philadelphia and my own Rabbi, Rabbi Yammer, and the subject of Navi came up. Here is what they said:

According to Rabbi Shmidman, our relationship with Hashem is like owning a car. Driving that car is a great privilege. You can go anywhere you want in that car, however you want, as long as you follow certain rules. By buying that car, you agreed to the responsibility of not speeding, driving on a specific side of the road, etc.
Praising Hashem and following his laws is a gift from Hashem. We earned this gift by recognizing Hashem in all of his glory. Think about it. There are some things in life that you do, that only Jews do, that can truly make you stop and think, "Wow, this is the work of Hashem". As such, we received the gift of being able to be His beloved nation, with a special relationship. This gift came with the responsibility of being an "or lagoim". In Shir HaShirim, the relationship between us and Hashem is referred to as romantic, even.
In answer to the "it's not fair" point, firstly he (Rabbi Shmidman) says it is dangerous to play Hashem, and say why He does what He does. He goes on to say that many people will tell you that we, the Jews, the chosen people, are automatically better than everyone else, that they are intrinsically inferior. This is not true. One reason that we can be punished much harsher for things than the non-Jews is that we are aware of what we are doing and the consequences. The other nations do not have the same awareness of Hashem that we do, and this enables and requires us to become an "or lagoim", a light unto the nations so that our world can continue to have a relationship with our creator and G-d.

Rabbi Yammer says something a little different. He turned the question of "why are we the chosen nation" right back at me. Imagine you are trying to chose a group of people. What traits are you looking for? For me I would be looking for real, honest people that I can trust to listen to me. Think about Avraham. Do those words not describe him perfectly. He was honest and he listened to Hashem, but he also had a mind of his own, and stood up for what he believed was right.
As for the question of "why are we punished", there is a saying, "you only hurt the ones you love". This sums up our relationship with Hashem. Because He loves us, He has to punish us every now and then, just to keep us straight. Just like when with your close friends you are going to be more honest with them, then with people you just met. Judaism isn't for everyone. There are definitely good Christians and Muslims and Buddhists in the world. And for that they go to heaven. But we have a different relationship. We are closer with Hashem, and as such He is closer with us.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I realize that last paragraph came out uber harsh..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I start off by saying that for some reason there is a need to put metaphors in everywhere... and that for something like this metaphors aren't always the appropriate way. Don't get me wrong- I love metaphors. In our Navi written test-like-thing, I wrote this whole answer on how I thought that using metaphors was Yishayahu's best bet of reaching the people. BUT they have to directly correspond, and they have to be well written and thought of; it has to be a strong metaphor if it's going to convince anyone anything. So, Racheli, the person who once loved metaphors, Alas! she has become sick and tired of all of these metaphors being thrown all of a sudden! Yishayahu was showing the people what they were doing wrong with metaphors that fit their situation perfectly. He wasn't answering serious questions that needed direct and close attention to be payed to them.
    As beautiful and heartwarming these metaphors may be to somebody who initially sees them, they are, in fact, completely unsatisfying.

    Also, I feel like the "not fair" thing still hasn't been solved for me.
    And what is the whole last thing? I personally feel that we are all our own person. Sometimes, though, we let other people influence us too much that we are unable to stay our own person. Before I get into a whole thing about self-respect and other principles (that I have), let me just say how this connects. Just because your grandfather was holy or your mother was holy doesn't mean that you are. I don't get how Hashem choosing the people so long ago has anything to do with how we are now. Also, just because your parent is bad doesn't mean that you are bad- you could be good. So what about people who's ancestors weren't holy then but they are holy now- holier than Jews. (By the way, this comparison- yes, not a metaphor- directly corresponds and does not even have Hashem in it, so it's all good).

    To conclude: I agree with Gersten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would, too, like to apologize if what I said came out a bit harsh. . . Not meaning to commit any social injustices here on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has come to my attention that the previous post WAS extremely rude and I apologize for that. I truly did not mean to attack anyone or their rabbi. I will therefore remove my previous post and try to rephrase it. I'm dreadfully sorry Alex, and hope that you and Mrs. Perl and anyone I offended forgive me.


    I sometimes feel that metaphors aren't the way to go in terms of G-d, because as good a metaphor as it is, it simply cannot suffice because we can't truly comprehend G-d. Also, if I inherit a car maybe I don't want that one. Sure, it's very nice, but I would like to buy my own car. That is a possibility. Otherwise I totally agree with your rabbi, because cars do come with rules. But that's why you go to the dealership and inspect and testdrive before you buy one.

    Secondly, can you ask your rabbi why we are the chosen nation. Not what traits G-d was looking for then, because we don't necessarily have them now. And just because my forever ago ancestors had those traits, why should I live with the consequences of their choices. It just seems unjust to me.

    I wish sometimes there would be an answer. No, "well, think about it this way." Can I not think about it the way it is? Sometimes metaphors don't work, and that may be the sentiments of the Jews when Yeshayahu prophecised only in metaphors....

    I sometimes feel that rabbis respond to our questions with more questions, or try to get us to figure out the answer. But I only asked because I dont know, so I would just like an answer.. in general..

    Once again, sorry my previous post was rude, I felt horrible all of shabbos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, unlike some of the other people who posted on the blog, I like the metaphor of the car, but I would like to add something to it. This does not answer why we are the chosen nation, but more of why we have to follow all the rules.
    Instead of us having to follow all the rules to keep the car, it is more to protect us and make sure we do not crash. In Chumash we are learning about specific laws that Moshe repeated that were important in enhancing our relationship with Hashem. Many of these laws make sure that we do not "crash" and follow Avodah Zarah. For example, Men cannot shave their faces with a razor bacause that was and Avodah Zarah practice, or some of the social obligations like Trumah and Maaser were to make sure that those who were less fortunate would have the means so they would not stray.
    I know this does not answer the reason why we are a choen nation, and I really cannot think of an answer to that, but I think that Hashem gaves us certain guidelines to make sure that we always follow him.
    (idk if this made any sense, but I decided to try posting just to be cool like u guys
    :))
    Oh and contrary to what other people were saying I think that metaphors are important, we all use them, and although sometimes they do not work (child reaching for a candy on the shelf) there are times when metaphors hel us gain a deeper understanding for concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly- I didn't say I didn't like the metaphor ever, but as you point out it doesn't at all answer the question, and that is why in my previous post I said that many times rabbis or teachers avoid the question and give an excellent answer to a rather different question. I know what Judaism is, and I know that when you're a Jew you have rules to protect you and make you a better person. My question isn't about Judaism itself- it's about why we must be Jewish. Not even why there has to be a Jewish/chosen people, which is a question, but the main one I had was why do we have to be born Jewish- why can't we choose/buy our own car.

    Molly- I like that you included what you learned from chumash class, but as you said:
    I know this does not answer the reason why we are a chosen nation, and I really cannot think of an answer to that, but I think that Hashem gaves us certain guidelines to make sure we always follow him.
    One- exactly, it doesn't answer the question. Why can't people either just give me an answer instead of trying to go to another point, or, if you don't know the answer, don't say, "I don't know but in terms of this..." I know the "in terms of this." I want an answer, and if you don't have one I'll go find someone who can give me an answer!

    I think that metaphors are nice too. But sometimes when you're talking about things that are really important, if you're trying to keep someone religious, if you rain them in metaphors they're going to leave. Life isn't a metaphor. There have to be actual answers, you know? You can't just give metaphors, you have to give the straight answer.
    Also, since you brought it up, if you take time to listen to the reasoning of said metaphor, and do not cut people off midsentence (!!!:D!!) then you understand the metaphor/answers that are being presented.
    But in terms of religion I don't think you can use metaphors because it is such an important thing.

    Also, Molly, you know I love you, and since you posted you wanted to try and be cool, I've got to bring up the old saying, "only a senior would say that!"
    hahahaha.... people, relax, our navi class is the coolest... it's okay, we all love you anyways ;)
    But also, we don't do this to be cool or make mrs. perl like us- we are interested in these questions and want answers!!! :D love you molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now I'm in the middle of something but while I'm thinking about it I would just like to mention that I did not find Zahava's post offensive at all if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. to zahava
    I would just like to say that metaphors can sometimes help explain things better than just straight out stating them. For instance, if someone said something that could be confusing or taken incorrectly,a parable might be able to clear it up. This often happens in Judaism because many Jewish concepts are rather complex. I can't think of a good example right now but when i do I'll bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex- thank goodness! I was all worked up because I thought you would be very offended so I'm extremely glad that you are not!
    Emma- I suppose that sometimes metaphors are useful. However I think that in religion it can't be a metaphor there needs to be an answer. And if something is confusing don't use a metaphor because that isn't exact. Just explain. Well we are all entitled to an opinion, such is the beauty of America, and so I think we can say that many of you are fond of metaphors whereas I like the straight answer andnthen exploring that answer!

    ReplyDelete